Sunday, October 16, 2011

I popped the cherry and feel so dirty!

Okay. That is a raunchy title. And no, the post is absolutely not what you're thinking. I just couldn't resist the title =).



As many of you know are familiar with me know, I abhor touching raw meat with my bare hands although I have no problems eating meat (sorry!). I'm one of those retards that either gets someone else to handle the meat or I'll have gloves on or use another utensil to avoid direct contact.



Anyhow, today, Female Jaja decides to go to Kampala to visit her sister. She tells me around 10am, "oh, you'll have to cook lunch". !!! I'm sure most of you know I don't exactly cook either…and the last post about cooking was about a sigiri I lit on fire trying to cook eggs -____--.



So my brain starts running in a million different directions thinking about what I could cook them, if they had food in the house, or if maybe I should just go out and buy food and bring it back (which would cost way too much).



Well, I saw that they had some left over matooke and Male Jaja said he would bring meat so I decided to make a matooke burrito for them. I intended to just get some fries in town but of course they were not cooking yet (people eat lunch between 1-2pm at the earliest it seems and dinner between 8-10pm).



So I come back with chapatis as my tortilla. And saw the meat. BLEH. It's a couple HUGE chunks. After staring at it for about 5 minutes, I acknowledge with a reluctant sigh that yes, it needs to be cut…and yes, I will have to do the cutting… SIGH.



Naka brings me a dull knife and slowly initial contact is made. O-M-G raw meat feeeeeeeeels soooooo DISGUSTING! Squishy and slimy and still with tons of fat on it, too bad you couldn't have seen my face. I'm sure you would have laughed your ass off at me. Mama, I'm sure you're proud--I've finally touched raw meat.



Anyhow, back to it. So I somehow manage to slice into smaller pieces (very difficult1) and decided to try to marinate it as I had no idea how to cook meat as I usually avoid cooking meat altogether. I dumped some soy sauce in the pot, some sugar, and some onion because I didn't have garlic and let it sit for about 30 min.



In the meantime, while waiting, I realized that the matooke I had seen was the bottom burnt pieces and not really all that much. So I added some water, got as much of the unburned parts as possible, warmed it up over the sigiri and mashed it up. Turns out, it's only enough matooke for one burrito. Not that it mattered anyways, as Male Jaja disappeared (he came back later at 4pm to eat ) and Female Jaja took Masa with her so it was just Naka and I. So Naka got a matooke burrito! Ingredients: left over matooke recooked, chapati, and some slices of raw tomato. LOL



And then the meat was cooked. Naka said she liked it. I thought it tasted exactly like soy sauce…so I tried sprinkling some sugar on it. Which now in hindsight, seems stupid after I've already cooked the meat. Anyhow…results: mixed. I think food looks terrible, I don't know about the taste as I didn't eat it besides trying a bite of meat. Naka ate all of it and said she liked it (I'm not sure if she ate all of it just because I gave it to her…), and finally, when Male Jaja came home, he ate just a piece or two max of the meat.



Awwww man. I really need to work on this cooking thing. Maybe after I find my stove as I've seem to have lost it. Sigiri cooking is not a great method for me unfortunately.



Oh, and my hands still stink of meat. I've washed my hands about 6 times now with soap and it's no use. I have meaty hands =(.

No comments:

Post a Comment