Wednesday, December 5, 2012

A small moment of reflection

Hello!

So it'd been an interesting week or two. ---I feel like I pretty much say that every time I write home. Anyhow! It has! I've definitely learned some new things and had a couple of very distinct days.

Sooo......now I know what it's like to be a manager of a luxury resort with a very limited budget because they are opening a new project in another city. I've had the opportunity to talk to guests, do accounting, management, you name it. And it's definitely been an interesting week. 
---I find it completely ironic that although hospitality was my brother's interest and in itself had never really crossed my mind, I ended up with the job. I even told him so. And he laughed at me.
-------But apparently I've impressed the owner, well enough that he wants to talk about me continuing to work with them for the rest of my service (1 year).  Yay!
------------After working at the lodge, I'm definitely healthier! They feed me good food (balanced diet) and everyday I get to walk a ton of steps. Actually, I'm still winded whenever I walk up those steps...

But as I've had an interesting week with a couple of ups and downs, I had a rare of reflection while on public transport (as usual, I seem to reflect on things while traveling...either that or bouncing ideas off Tomas --- thank you Tomas!). 

This came after meeting with some other Peace Corps Volunteers (PCVs) in the area. Everyone complained and was upset about their sites and organizations, and just overall were not having a good time. And it made me realize, that although I also complain/whine (I think it might just be my nature...and lots of free time), I am one of the few who are having a good experience, especially in Uganda, where most PCVs are actually just wasting their time (partying, doing nothing, etc).

And so I contemplated exactly what made my experience vary from those other PCVs. And of course every situation is different and there so many variables but I think it could possibly boil down to the following:

1. a positive outlook - the PCVs I had talked to were definitely of the more pessimistic/cynical sort and it does affect how they perceive things and of course how they approach things. 
2. initiative - They keep waiting for things to happen, for people to assign them ideas or approve etc. But if you try to wait, you're going to be waiting forever here. 
3. flexibility - sometimes there are set hours here, other times, there aren't. But I think being flexible about how much you work helps. Or well, being flexible in general. One conversation I had went like this:

Her (Y): I want to do a secondary project. I'm angry my organization won't give me 2-3 days off during the week to do so. I work everyday until 4.
Me (T): Weekends?
Y: I'm not wasting my weekends to work
T: Okay...what about after work? 4 isn't that late. You could probably help out somewhere local for a day a week or something
Y: Yea right. I'm tired after work. I don't want to go help another organization and I still need to get home and cook.
T: --________-- I don't know what to say then.

4. and finally, a little bit of luck -- the bit of luck I have had on my side really helps -- whether its meeting the right people at the right times or being available or whatever. I've definitely had a bit of luck in site placements, the people I meet and work with. Thank you powers that be!

okay....I've been distracted. I was going to leave you guys with some funny story or more upbeat note but....I've totally lost my train of thought. I think 4 people are talking to me at the same time. Oh well. If it's important, I'll remember.

Oh! I made Dan Tas (chinese egg tarts---dim sum type). Can you believe it? from scratch! And it wasn't that hard. And it tasted good. I was quite worried it wouldn't for a while. Anyhow... Tiffany, baker to be - out!

Cheers~

No comments:

Post a Comment