Friday, September 2, 2011

Charizard!

I think I'm better off not looking at the food I eat/have prepared for me…

There are flies all around…red stuff in the eggs, a spider crawling around the watermelon…'nuff said. JUst eat it. don't look and I'll be happier.

So yesterday we went to check out this farm. It's supposed to a high tech farm in Uganda. What it REALLY means…is that they:

1. Sort their crops on tarps and not on soil
2. Practice composting
3. Try to grow organically…everything is grown together rather than in separate fields
4. They have animals too
5. They utilize some newer techniques
6. They have more than an acre or two of land.

What did I get away from the session?

1. I can be a advanced farmer if I learn to sort my crops and make use of shared space farming
2. Every plant is useful, I just have to open my mind to the possibilities
3. They are not making the most use of their land (mostly due to lack of funding) and not maximizing their potential in selling their yields (both crops and animals)
4. I have now seen a pig castrated and a dog eat said pig's scrotum -___--. AND I have the neuter on video if anyone's interested (I shot it while looking away)
5. Farming's not my thing…I don't think I have a green thumb anyways (hence my poor orchid died in a week--my bad).

The farm we went to is really cool though. They're doing things that are advanced for Ugandan society and I do see a lot of potential. They spend a lot of time training people from all over Africa about better farming techniques for sustainability and quality. They have a bunch of programs to better agriculture in Uganda. You can check out their website at www.kulika.org.

Moving on…as some of you may know, I'm interested in getting a dog here (and taking it home)! I've looked up a bunch of stuff regarding how to take a dog home and how I will take care of one here. I've also spoken to a bunch of people that have pets here. It's not a light matter and it is a ton of responsibility but I am willing!
I'm currently debating between a male/female and would love advice on whether I should get a male or a female. Right now, I'm leaning more towards a female. I will be meeting vets next week in my region to pick a good vet and I'll probably go look at some puppies if I can. If not, puppies will have to wait until Oct. I currently also REALLY like the name Charizard (Char for short)…but I do feel like I should have a Ugandan name. LOL. We'll see….

hmm.. I don't really have much to update. I'll go back to watching my host sisters exclaim (very loudly and excitedly) over the game of snake on my cell phone they're playing with.

O, btw…did I mention the era Ugandan things are in? Dollies are so in here! My house's electric iron looks like it came out of the 60s. Backstreet Boys and Mariah Carey (when she was skinny!) are super popular. So is R Kelly and News Kids on the Block. Everything's pretty old school looking here. It's kind of cool and kind of weird. At least, I'll be able to relive my boyband years all over again =). I really liked the era of BSB and NSYNC and Britney etc.--I like the choreographed group dancing =)

No comments:

Post a Comment