Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Wangi (yes)

Weather in Uganda currently:
When it rains, it's SUPER muddy. When it's dry, the dirt is cracked. Average temp over the last couple days? About low to mid 70s. MUHAHAHAHAHAH.....It's hotter in California than it is in Africa!

So here is some Uganglish I found funny:

Pants = underwear
Hotel = restaurant
Mariah (pronounced malayah) = prostitute
Chai = coffee or tea. Usually tea and no it's not chai tea.
Rolex = rolled egg. say rolled eggs fast and it sounds like rolex. Also, if you ask for an egg roll, they literally roll an egg and give it to you.

And funny/annoying things in Lugbarra (my dialect):

1. e'fu is pronounced F-U and means morning.
2. like chinese, lugbarra is a tonal language. So I can say ti ti and mean the cow hanged itself. there are a ton of tongue twisters...
3. mi = you, ma = me
4. to tell time: 7am = 1, 8 am = 2, etc. then... 7pm = 1, 8pm= 2, etc. -___-- Oh! what time is it? It's 2 (8 am/pm).

On a side note...

As I was walking down the street, some local girls started asking me questions. Religion, of course being the main topic.

Local girl: "TIffany, did you know that the bible says it is wrong for men to wear women's clothing and for women to wear mens clothing?"
Me: "Does it say that? I don't recall anything in the bible saying women can't wear pants or men skirts."
Local girl: "Yes it does. I will show you the verse."
Me: "Please do."
Local girl: "Women who wear trousers are prostitutes."
Me: "I've seen many local women wear trousers."
Local girl: "At night?"
Me: "No, during the day."
-she didn't really respond after that.

Finally...I GOT SOY SAUCE!

No comments:

Post a Comment