Thursday, August 18, 2011

quick update!

Today we did an exercise on life cycles…basically a chart that shows who we are with words. So I started out with three regions to my name…

ASIA
Tiffany USA
AFRICA

After doing the associations and creating a more detailed chart of my life, I realized that everything I have done has been connected and led to this. And I feel that as I continue on in life, everything will stay connected.

Ie. My family came from Asia to the US. Growing up in the US, I picked up Chinese and Spanish (reading mostly). I returned to Asia to study. From there, I made amazing new friends and connections. Coming home, family and my experience in Asia helped me land a job. During that job, I worked with our Asia office as well as customers all over the world including Africa. Applying for Peace Corps, it was those job duties and past experiences in other countries and languages that gave me the qualifications to become a Peace Corps volunteer. Those qualifications led to placement in Africa. After service, I will return to the US, likely find a job/go back to school relating to something I found of interest here and eventually make my way back to Asia as well.

Geez.

Anyhow, I finally borrowed a charger to charge my laptop. Tomorrow, hopefully I can hit the Apple store in Kampala (or someone will go for me) to get a most likely over priced Apple charger for my laptop.

And I have an field training tomorrow =) so I'll be out trying something new (PACA).

If you want to send me packages….please do! Talk to Jon, James or my Mom. I want food items! Haha, and t-shirts or skirts (below the knee) I guess. I hear old navy has some good yoga skirts *wink*

Onwards, language training is good, although it's frustrating that meanings keep changing…I should have an immersion week and site visit in a couple weeks which will help.

quick answers:
1. host family is great. american names are common
2. weather has been rainy (rainy season) on and off but relatively nice. not too hot or cold
3. primary food...matooke (steamed and nutrientless bananas, rice, potatoes, cassava (starch), pocho (starch), beans...so basically starch!
4. yes i plan to get a dog...
5. currently with other volunteers at training. after a couple more weeks, we will separate to site which may then be either one or two of us by ourselves or possibly with others. they're still deciding.

And I will try to upload pics!

ale emi saaru (i love you all! - i think that's how you write it…the pronouns lose me occasionally)

Cheers,

Tiff

No comments:

Post a Comment