Thursday, March 5, 2009

Something of Interest

Yesterday, I was reading Alan's xanga and he had written something that totally mirrored my thoughts at some time during the past couple months. He wrote,

"I think the more I live my life, the more the concept of a "best friend" become foreign to me. I know people always talk about their "best friends", the people they can't live without, the people who they talk to all the time. The people who they tell everything to, the people they can trust about anything...

When I think of the best friend, or even good friend, they're people that know you, but not only do they know a lot about you, but they want to know more about you. They're people who you can hang out with and feel comfortable around. They're people who when you're gone, they'll miss you. They say actions are more powerful than words and I think that's true. Except in the case of nothing, both are more powerful and more meaningful.

...I'm pretty sure I can count the number of times people have sent me messages or talked to me or anything to that extent on my fingers and toes. Everyone else? Everyone at home that I've talked to since I've been here as been contacted by me. Me. Me. Me. Maybe I'm just over thinking things, but to me that seems like a very one sided relationship."



I wrote back to him,

"People come and go, thats given...but take pleasure in the people who have stayed in contact with you. They are the ones to remember, the relationships to nurture. Relationships of any sort are a two way street. You tried and that's the best you can do. If they decide not to put the effort into building and keeping the relationship, it's their loss. [Alan] You are a great guy, focus on those who keep in contact, even if they annoy you. Let the others come and go and just flow with it. You can always forgive and forgive...or just forgive but don't forget who's who in the scheme of things."



And when I think about it, although what I might have written may not apply to others, it does apply to me. I want to thank Alan for writing a wonderful post, which can be found here at his Xanga.

1 comment:

  1. Totally agree!
    There is a huge difference between friends and buddies/acquaintances.. at least for me... I'm still in contact with my friends... but with nearly none of the buddies/acquaintances...
    The core problem is to find out, who's your friend and who's not...

    ReplyDelete